Notifications
Sign Up Sign In
Q&A

Post History

Initial revision by user avatar light42 · 2019-12-08T13:13:58Z (7 months ago)
Don't do it top-down, do it bottom-up.

Break your story into chunks of index cards.

Sort your cards in the order you felt most natural. Then put 95% of the index cards into a jar.

Congratulation, now you can work on the most significant 5% of your story. The index cards in the jar now only functions as a source of inspiration, you should not put it in your working draft ever again.

Extend the 5% the way you wanted, be creative, be bold, take risks, don't get trapped by your initial plan.

After you're quite satisfied with your extension. Take a look back at the notes in your jar, and reflect whether the new direction of the story is better.

After that, start the process again, break your working draft into chunks of index cards, but this time put 90% of it to a jar. Then extend the remaining 10%.

After that, start the process again, break your working draft into chunks of index cards, but this time put 85% of it to a jar. Then extend the remaining 15%.

Repeat the process until you don't need to put any notes to a jar anymore/you're very satisfied with the result.

Attribution notice added by user avatar System · 2019-12-08T13:13:58Z (7 months ago)
Source: https://writers.stackexchange.com/a/48956
License name: CC BY-SA 4.0
License URL: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/
Imported from external source by user avatar System · 2019-11-15T04:39:35Z (8 months ago)
Original score: 3