"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Comments on Why do ebooks often mimic the layout of the printed page?

Parent

Why do ebooks often mimic the layout of the printed page?

+3
−0

I was recently editing a novel destined to be published primarily in e-book form, and made a list of pre-press instructions, to be followed when the final text is agreed upon. Some of these instructions were only needed because the text mimics the printed page, sometimes to the extent of having columns and fully-justified text.

All the e-books I've read use pages. The text is laid out more or less like it would be on a printed page. Why is that? Why not use scrolling text?

There are some advantages to laying out text like this: White space at the end of a chapter is a powerful indicator to the effect that we're done with this bit. Text looks professional and classy when it's laid out on a page.

Why is this done? Is it just because users expect it? Or is there a deeper reason?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

0 comment threads

−0

By doing a "flip page" style of feature in ebooks, it allows the reader a chance to catch their breath. Try this sometime. Get two copies of the exact same book (preferably in the public domain). Read one formatted for an e-reader, and the other in-line. You'll notice very quickly that with the in-line text, you lose your place easily, your eyes tire quicker, and you may become extremely discouraged reading what seems to be an unending march of text up your screen. Ebook formating on the surface seems to be mostly aesthetic, but there is a large chunk of psychological tricks that help keep us interested and reading the text long after we would have given up otherwise.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

This post was sourced from https://writers.stackexchange.com/a/3332. It is licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0.

1 comment thread

General comments (1 comment)
General comments
Neil‭ wrote over 4 years ago

This is definitely correct. Since posting this question, I've tried out the infinite scroll feature in Kindle on my phone, and there is a subtle difference in usability. I've changed back to page-by-page view these days.