Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Comments on A Code of Conduct, dare I say it

Parent

A Code of Conduct, dare I say it

+10
−0

TL;DR: I've just created a Code of Conduct, and I'd like your feedback on it.

Let's see if we can make a better go of this than Stack Exchange, hey?

It's mostly based on the Community Covenant CoC, with some adaptations to make it make more sense as applied here.

Have a read through, and leave any feedback you have in an answer here. I'll make the document mod-editable, so it's not just me who can make changes to it. While the current state of the document is the sort of thing I'd recommend using, it's up to you exactly how you want it to read - the only strong recommendation I'd make is that some form of CoC is almost always necessary.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

0 comment threads

−1

I just heard about this place (thanks icanfathom). Willing to give it a try. Of course, the first thing I checked on was the code of conduct and, no surprise at all, the only item of contention in the code of conduct is the harassment clause. So let me offer some suggestion on why harassment clauses are so contentious, and what might serve as an alternative.

I note that many community codes of conduct start by saying that they aim to be a safe space for "everyone". This is impossible. Codes of conduct exist to exclude, specifically to exclude people who want to behave in a certain way. Codes of conduct exist to specify that this is a certain kind of community, and that certain kinds of people are not welcome. That is the only terms under which community is possible.

Yes, that is very sad. But it is also human. As long as there exists an opinion or behavior X, for which some people feel offended and/or harassed by the assertion of X, and some people feel offended and/or harassed by the denial of X, your can't have a peaceful community of everyone. And there are lots of values for X in this world.

The problem with a specific harassment clause it that it makes plain who is excluded, destroying the illusion that this is a place for "everyone". The problem with a vague "I'll know it when I see it" harassment clause is that it is open to contention, and to people campaigning to have their particular X explicitly included in the code, which is exactly what happened at SE. You can hope that does not happen for a while, but the possibility is always out there.

In fact, harassment clauses (and hate speech codes) are now frequently used as ideological filters to exclude people from various places of influence. (For a long time, anyone who wanted to hold office in Britain had to take the "oath against transubstantiation". The purpose of this was to exclude Catholics from positions of influence. (This may be a plot point in a story I am thinking of writing.)) One you institute one, however pure the intention, you leave yourself open to this kind of attack. If you truly want this to be a place for writers of every stripe, then you would be well advised to defend against any attempt to bring in an ideological filter via a harassment code.)

A community is a collection of people with shared values. It excludes people who don't share those values. People in the community don't have to share all their values. They just have to be able to coexist peacefully with other people based on the values they do share. They have to tolerate in that community things they might not tolerate in another. To be stable, a community needs some core values that are central to its reason for being a community. It needs its members to agree to abide by those values, even if they find some of the actions of other members of the community upsetting in ways outside of the community's reason for being.

One of the values commonly shared by writers is freedom of expression, which includes both the freedom to say what you think, and also the freedom to not say what you don't think. I don't think you want a generic code of conduct here. You want a code of conduct specific to the common values of writers.

But I'm not advocating for an anything goes policy here. Just because we value freedom of speech does not mean that we have to exercise it in all situations. If you want to say that God does not exist, I will defend your right to say it. But if you walk into a church or a synagogue or a mosque in the middle of a service and say it, I will applaud as the cops carry you away for disrupting a religious service. Context and purpose matter.

So, let me propose a pair of simple and time tested rules that I think will serve a community specifically of writers well, will define and accord with our shared values, and will make a harassment clause unnecessary:

1. All discussions must be on topic. Don't talk about subjects that are outside of the purpose and scope of this community or the particular subject under discussion.

2. No ad hominem arguments. Address the idea, not the person. Saying the moon is made of green cheese is okay. Saying that people who believe the moon is made of green cheese are idiots is not okay. Saying that the orbital characteristics of a moon made of green cheese would not match the observed orbit of the moon is okay.

And if perhaps we really need to make the point:

1. The expression of an opinion (excluding ad hominem statements) is not to be construed as harassment, no matter how much you disagree with the opinion.
History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

General comments (20 comments)
General comments
Monica Cellio‭ wrote over 4 years ago

Related discussion on the Codidact forum: https://forum.codidact.org/t/proposed-code-of-conduct/462/95?u=cellio. It's a long thread; I've linked to the message that quotes the latest version (proposed by Art). This is proposed language for the Codidact network (specifically, the one this group of developers hosts). I've argued there that the baseline should be light and sites are free to augment with concerns specific to them, like religion sites might have some additional expectations.

ArtOfCode‭ wrote over 4 years ago

So here's the thing. I believe a clause covering harassment is necessary, because it ensures that it's there for those who insist on following the rules to the letter, and because it's a valuable thing to have for some folks. I think we disagree there, but that's okay. [1/?]

On an orthogonal issue - this isn't my community. I've never participated in Writing, and I'm here only as a facilitator, so I don't want to force things on the community here that y'all don't want. On the other hand, if this site is likely to move to the Codidact software when that's available, that may come under Codidact's code of conduct, which may be different from something y'all come up with independently. [2/?]

Strikes me that the best option here is to leave it up to the Writing mods - i.e. the people who are heavily invested in this community - to decide which course is best for the community here. (cc'ing @MonicaCellio here.) [3/3]

Mark Baker‭ wrote over 4 years ago

@ArtOfCode, I was just reading through the thread that Monica pointed to, and as I was reading it, it occurred to me that there is a certain futility in trying to establish rules of conduct that people are asked to agree to up front and which they can then appeal to in cases of dispute. For me, as least, it puts me in the position of saying, can I subscribe to every implication of this code, and the answer for me is often no, as it was in the SE case.

Now, it is vanishing unlikely that I would ever have done anything to violate that code, but by being forced to accept that code, I was forced to subscribe to the ideology behind that code and that, on one particular point, I could not do. Most people would not scruple about it as it do, but a significant number did in the SE case.

On the other hand, I would have no problem with a site that said, "This is my site and I reserve the right to delete anything I don't like and kick off anyone I don't like, and here are my general principles, just so you know. You have zero rights, and you make zero promises. You are here at my indulgence."

The site owner is entirely within their rights to do that. It is the same principle on which I invite people into my house. It leaves no wiggle room for barrack room lawyers, and it forces no one to take an ideological test to join.

Thomas Myron‭ wrote over 4 years ago

@Mark Baker I generally disagree with a lot of what you say, which (I think) you are well aware of. But you have dropped what I think are a few gems, and this is certainly one of them. I agree 100%. Well said.

... That being said, the only 'loophole' I see here is if the idea in question involves a certain party of people, and then someone starts to really unload on that particular party. Technically, it's not harassment, since the idea is being addressed (and as long as the 'unloader' keeps it general and not personal). But the 'unloader' could get really nasty about it, and anyone in that certain party would definitely feel harassed, and probably feel inclined to harass back.

@ThomasMyron that is the fundamental problem with the notion of harassment. There is the intent to harass and the feeling of being harrassed. An argument might be advanced passionately, in the heat of argument, with no intent other than to prove the point at issue, which might make certain parties feel that they have been harrassed. Intent is not provable.

And someone may feel harrassed by even the most innocent and innocuous of comments that just happens to fall on an already raw nerve that the speaker could not possible have known about. People also can and do claim to be harrassed solely for the purpose of shutting down a contrary opinion.

Mark Baker‭ wrote over 4 years ago · edited over 4 years ago

A policy that says no harassment must be intended is unenforceable. A policy that says no harassment must ever be felt is impossible to comply with. That's where the loophole lies, and it is a loophole in human nature that no code of conduct, however worded, can ever close.

@MarkBaker So... probably our best bet would be to just acknowledge the loophole in the CoC and leave it up to a moderator's call then? That's about the only thing I can think of. Also, we are discussing this over on the Discord if you want to join in. The link is in my profile over on SE.

@ThomasMyron What cannot be legislated must be adjudicated, and what must be adjudicated depends on the character and principles of the Judge. There is no way around this. This too is the human condition. In the end, thought, admitting this can result in a less restrictive covenant.

When I'm moderating and somebody raises concerns about something, I ask myself if the discussion is necessary. I mean, if somebody's talking smack about a group (any group) in a chat room about, say, technical writing, that's pretty easy -- this is off-topic, someone's uncomfortable, let's chill please. It doesn't even have to be harassment; it might just be squicky. (1/2)

The challenges come up when the discussion is relevant and someone feels uncomfortable; in those cases the focus should be on how we talk about the topic, and a mod might need to remind people about depersonalizing etc. (2/2)

@MonicaCellio, exactly. And that comes down to where authority lies. Does authority lie in the moderator or in the code. If authority lies in the mod, there is no arguing with the decision. If it lies in the code, then there is endless ground for arguing about the decision of the mod.

My point, as in the SE case, is that if I am required to subscribe to a code, I have to look at that code as a whole and decide if I can subscribe to all it implications and assumptions. In the case of SE, I could not, even though the chances that I would ever have actually violated it are extremely remote.

But if when I sign up I am told that Monica is in charge and here is what she will tolerate and what she won't, that's much easier. It does not require me to agree to your principles. It just tells me that if you don't like what I say, you will shut me down. Agreeing to submit to authority is much less onerous than being required to subscribe to principles.