Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Comments on block-quotation narrative with dialogue

Parent

block-quotation narrative with dialogue

+1
−0

Over on the Judaism site, I summarized a narrative text in a block quotation. Because the narrative is well-known, I expected many people to skip the block quotation; therefore, I did not want it to occupy too much real estate. Even for those reading it, I wanted to ensure that it flowed easily and allowed them to read the whole thing without becoming too involved in it and thus distracted from the text outside the block quotation. Those were my aims; I'll describe a bit of how I tried to fulfill them, and my question is what I can do to improve that, and any general tips to improve my text there.

The narrative includes not a little conversation. In order that the block quotation not be broken up into pieces, I did not include the conversation's quotations in separate paragraphs as usual; I did not even put them in quotation marks, instead relying on tags like "he said" and commas to ensure comprehensibility.

For reference, my post there follows:

Every haftara, they say, has something to do with the Torah reading it follows. So what does the haftara of parashas Vayera have to do with Vayera?

A number of answers are offered, but I'd like to share one based on something I heard from R. Moshe Scheinerman (Brooklyn, N.Y.), circa 1997, in the name of Tzipora Levin, the wife of R. Arye Levin.

First, a recap of the haftara:

It begins with a short story about a pauper who had nothing to pay her debts with. All she had, she told Elisha, was a small amount of oil. Borrow empty receptacles, said Elisha, close your door, and pour the oil into the receptacles. She did, until there were no receptacles left. She told her son to bring another. He said there were no more, and the oil stopped flowing. Go sell your oil and repay your debts, said Elisha.

Then comes a longer story about Elisha's hostess. She had no son, and Elisha, unbidden, promised her one. No, don't lie to me, said she; but indeed she gave birth soon after. One day, the son died with little warning, and his mother went to seek Elisha. Why are you going? asked her husband. All is well, she replied. Elisha saw her coming from a distance and sent his man to see what was wrong. All is well, she told him also. But to Elisha she said, Didn't I say not to tease me? And Elisha understood. Take my stick, he told his man, and place it on the boy. Greet no one on the way there! But the woman said, I will not leave you; so Elisha went with her. His man arrived first, placed the stick on the boy; but the boy did not rise. Elisha arrived, prayed, lay on the boy, and thus revived him. The mother was reunited with her son.

The Talmud tells that "a covenant is made with lips": saying something can make it true. There were no more empty receptacles to accept the flowing oil! But until the boy said "there are no more receptacles", the oil flowed. His words made the oil stop flowing. A covenant is made with the lips.

Elisha's hostess understood this idea. She understood that she should not say her son is dead, because that would make it more real. And so she said only "all is well". Even on reaching Elisha, all she said was "didn't I say not to tease me?".

Elisha, too, understood this, but his assistant did not, or didn't care enough. He violated his master's injunction against greeting people on the way and in fact, the commentaries say, told people he was on his way to revive the dead. "Going to revive the dead", he said — so the boy was dead. And so his master had to follow in his wake and revive the boy.

And now let's examine the beginning of parashas Vayera. Angels come to visit Abraham. One of them tells him that, a year later, he (the angel) will return and Sarah will have a boy. Sarah laughs and says "can I become pregnant after being worn out? and my husband is so old". God then indicates Sarah was wrong to do so, and promises he'll return in a year and Sarah will have a boy.

Wait a second. First, the angel promised he'll return. Then, God promised he'll return. Which is it? But Sarah's statement intervened. Once she expressed that she can't give birth, the angel's return would not suffice to allow her to give birth: God himself, so to speak, had to return. See the parallel to the haftara! The angel was supposed to return to Sarah, but God had to; Elisha's assistant was supposed to revive the baby, but Elisha had to.

A covenant is made with the lips.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

0 comment threads

−0

If I understand the question correctly; you want a visual way to include a part of the text that add more information, without blocking the main flow or being obtrusive.

While it doesn't seem as writing issue persee, an more like a styling one, it's an issue that I may have a solution for:

Solution

A possible solution is to use collapsible sections, as follow:

Main text here ...

here is a collapsible section

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Phasellus et ante risus. Nullam vulputate egestas ligula, a aliquet purus tempor in. Ut mattis magna eu felis sodales accumsan. Maecenas convallis, ligula sed interdum dapibus, ex mi imperdiet velit, fringilla mollis sem nulla quis urna. Vestibulum sit amet consectetur ex. Fusce in libero vulputate, lobortis nibh in, aliquet odio. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nunc est orci, finibus id lectus vitae, laoreet lobortis quam.

... continuation of your text

Method

1. surround the whole block that you want to hide with

<details> ... </details>

2. put the visible label or title inside <summary> tag:

<summary> recap of ... </summary>

3. add your text, using markdown style

4. make sure you have an empty line after each closing tag: </summary> and </details>

Code

Main text here ...

<details>
<summary> here is a collapsible section </summary>

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit...

</details> 

... continuation of your text

https://gist.github.com/pierrejoubert73/902cc94d79424356a8d20be2b382e1ab

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

This isn't a generalizable approach. It assumes an HTML page and a sufficient level of author control... (2 comments)
This isn't a generalizable approach. It assumes an HTML page and a sufficient level of author control...
gmcgath‭ wrote over 2 years ago

This isn't a generalizable approach. It assumes an HTML page and a sufficient level of author control. If the author is using a markup language or converting text into an e-book, the functionality may not be available. It can't be done at all in print.

4015.alt‭ wrote over 2 years ago · edited over 2 years ago

I agree on the point that this approach doesn't cover all the possible use cases.

But; HTML (HyperText Markup Language) is a Markup language, and the example that I've included use Markdown, which is another one (the one supported by the comments here, in stack exchange network, and all the main code hosting website such as gitlab and github) .

And if putting the semantics and details aside, this method that, can be summarised in: use collapsible sections can be implemented in all electronic text displayers (including e-book readers) not just a browsers and html. actually I can even think of some way of applying it on printables with some folding :)

However; as I already stated in the answer this is ultimately a styling approach to present an optionally readable text in an unobtrusive way (like the use of nested quotation blocks in the OQ). and, to the tow of them, I'd prefer a lexical or semantic one here.