"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Comments on How does someone write a moving Declaration of Independence?

How does someone write a moving Declaration of Independence?

+4
−1

Context: I'm among a growing number of people who are becoming dissatisfied with Stack Exchange. In some ways (not all, but some), Stack Exchange's behaviour is analogous to "curation without representation". Assuming at some point Codidact will be launched, it seems worthwhile to analogously write a Declaration of Independence from Stack Exchange.

The USA's Declaration of Independence is transcribed here; its writing is moving, and people strongly believe in it hundreds of years later. E.g.:

A Prince whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people.

Hence my question...

Question: How does someone write a moving Declaration of Independence?

In particular, it absolutely should not make people think "disgruntled militia out for revenge", but instead inspire people to take up the ideal.

I'm brainstorming the idea of whipping up a proof-of-concept Codidact Declaration of Independence, and interested in what techniques have been used in prior declarations to make them feel moving.

If done well, it could be propagated widely.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (4 comments)
General comments
Mark Baker‭ wrote about 4 years ago

Are you sure poignant is the word you mean? "evoking a keen sense of sadness or regret." The US Declaration of Independence is a denunciation of tyranny and a justification for rebellion. I don't see much poignant about it.

becky82‭ wrote about 4 years ago · edited about 4 years ago

You're right; I changed it to a different word. Thanks. [Also wow... it seems this is the only negative-score question on the site. That's an achievement right there.]

Secespitus‭ wrote about 4 years ago

Do you already have formulated the "ideal" you mention and what specific group you are targeting? You are basically looking for standard rhetorical devices, though with a focus on stuff that has been used in previous decades and centuries as propaganda - or just plain advertisement these days.

Secespitus‭ wrote about 4 years ago

The question to ask yourself is: "Why should this thing be important to my target audience and what makes my side better at that thing than the other side?" If you are bent on rebellion you could change that a bit to "and why is the other side so bad at it that we need to do something ourselves?" Everything is moving to people if it feels like someone has figured out what you want even though you didn't even know yourself that you wanted that thing.